58. Lundin S, Mang H, Smithies M, et al. Inhalation of nitric
oxide in acute lung injury: results of a European multi-centre study. The European Study Group of Inhaled Nitric
Oxide. Intensive Care Med 1999;25:911–9.
59. Taylor RW, Zimmerman JL, Dellinger RP, et al. Low-dose
inhaled nitric oxide in patients with acute lung injury: a
randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004;291:1603–9.
60. Steinberg KP, Hudson LD, Goodman RB, et al. Efficacy and safety of corticosteroids for persistent acute
respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med
61. Liu KD, Levitt J, Zhuo H, et al. Randomized clinical trial of
activated protein C for the treatment of acute lung injury.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008;178:618–23.
62. National Heart L, Blood Institute Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Clinical Trials N, Matthay MA, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of an aerosolized
beta( 2)-agonist for treatment of acute lung injury. Am J
Respir Crit Care Med 2011;184:561–8.
63. Gao Smith F, Perkins GD, Gates S, et al. Effect of intravenous beta- 2 agonist treatment on clinical outcomes in
acute respiratory distress syndrome (BALTI- 2): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012;379:229–35.
64. Rice TW, Wheeler AP, Thompson BT, et al. Enteral omega-
3 fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidant supplementation in acute lung injury. JAMA 2011;306:1574–81.
65. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ARDS Clinical
Trials Network, Rice TW, et al. Initial trophic vs full enteral
feeding in patients with acute lung injury: the EDEN randomized trial. JAMA 2012;307:795–803.
66. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ARDS Clinical
Trials Network, Truwit JD, et al. Rosuvastatin for sepsis-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J
67. Papazian L, Forel JM, Gacouin A, et al. Neuromuscular
blockers in early acute respiratory distress syndrome. N
Engl J Med 2010;363:1107–16.
68. Rossaint R, Falke KJ, Lopez F, et al. Inhaled nitric oxide
for the adult respiratory distress syndrome. N Engle J Med
69. Dellinger RP, Zimmerman JL, Taylor RW, et al. Effects
of inhaled nitric oxide in patients with acute respiratory
distress syndrome: results of a randomized phase II trial.
Inhaled Nitric Oxide in ARDS Study Group. Crit Care Med
70. Gomberg-Maitland M, Olschewski H. Prostacyclin therapies for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Eur Respir J 2008;31:891–901.
71. Abraham E, Park YC, Covington P, et al. Liposomal pros-
taglandin E1 in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a
placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind, multicenter
clinical trial. Crit Care Med 1996;24: 10–5.
72. Bone RC, Slotman G, Maunder R, et al. Randomized double-blind, multicenter study of prostaglandin E1 in patients
with the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Prostaglandin
E1 Study Group. Chest 1989;96:114–9.
73. Stapleton RD, Wang BM, Hudson LD, et al. Causes and timing of death in patients with ARDS. Chest 2005;128:525–32.
74. Ashbaugh DG, Bigelow DB, Petty TL, Levine BE. Acute
respiratory distress in adults. Lancet 1967;2:319–23.
75. Meduri GU, Tolley EA, Chinn A, et al. Procollagen types
I and III aminoterminal propeptide levels during acute
respiratory distress syndrome and in response to methylprednisolone treatment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med
76. Meduri GU, Tolley EA, Chrousos GP, Stentz F. Prolonged
methylprednisolone treatment suppresses systemic inflammation in patients with unresolving acute respiratory
distress syndrome: evidence for inadequate endogenous
glucocorticoid secretion and inflammation-induced immune cell resistance to glucocorticoids. Am J Respir Crit
Care Med 2002;165:983–91.
77. Meduri GU, Headley AS, Golden E, et al. Effect of prolonged methylprednisolone therapy in unresolving acute
respiratory distress syndrome: a randomized controlled
trial. JAMA 1998;280:159–65.
78. Tang BM, Craig JC, Eslick GD, et al. Use of corticosteroids
in acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care
79. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Clinical Trials Network, Wiedemann
HP, et al. Comparison of two fluid-management strategies
in acute lung injury. N Engl J Med 2006;354:2564–75.
80. Esteban A, Frutos F, Tobin MJ, et al. A comparison of four
methods of weaning patients from mechanical ventilation.
Spanish Lung Failure Collaborative Group. N Engl J Med
81. Girard TD, Kress JP, Fuchs BD, et al. Efficacy and safety of
a paired sedation and ventilator weaning protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in intensive care (Awakening
and Breathing Controlled trial): a randomised controlled
trial. Lancet 2008;371:126–34.
82. Kress JP, Pohlman AS, O’Connor MF, Hall JB. Daily interruption of sedative infusions in critically ill patients undergoing mechanical ventilation. N Engl J Med 2000;342:1471–7.
83. Mehta S, Burry L, Cook D, et al. Daily sedation interruption in mechanically ventilated critically ill patients cared
for with a sedation protocol: a randomized controlled trial.
84. Engel HJ, Needham DM, Morris PE, Gropper MA. ICU early