87. Hajizadeh N, Goldfeld K, Crothers K. What happens to
patients with COPD with long-term oxygen treatment who
receive mechanical ventilation for COPD exacerbation? A
1-year retrospective follow-up study. Thorax 2014 May 14.
pii: thoraxjnl-2014-205248. [Epub ahead of print]
88. Chan JK, Leung RC, Lai CK. Non-invasive ventilation
in the management of respiratory failure. Respirology
89. Keenan SP, Gregor J, Sibbald WJ, et al. Noninvasive positive
pressure ventilation in the setting of severe, acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: more effective and less expensive. Crit Care Med 2000;28:2094–102.
90. Brochard L, Mancebo J, Wysocki M, et al. Noninvasive
ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 1995;333:817–22.
91. Plant PK, Owen JL, Elliott MW. Early use of non-invasive
ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on general respiratory wards: a multicentre
randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2000;355:1931–5.
92. del Castillo D, Barrot E, Laserna E, et al. Noninvasive
positive pressure ventilation for acute respiratory failure in
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a general respiratory ward. Med Clin (Barc) 2003;120:647–51.
93. Conti G, Antonelli M, Navalesi P, et al. Noninvasive vs.
conventional mechanical ventilation in patients with chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease after failure of medical treatment in the ward: a randomized trial. Intensive Care Med
94. Ram FS, Picot J, Lightowler J, Wedzicha JA. Non-invasive
positive pressure ventilation for treatment of respiratory failure due to exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;3:CD004104.
95. Burki NK, Mani RK, Herth FJ, et al. A novel extracorporeal
CO( 2) removal system: results of a pilot study of hyper-capnic respiratory failure in patients with COPD. Chest
96. Kluge S, Braune SA, Engel M, et al. Avoiding invasive
mechanical ventilation by extracorporeal carbon dioxide
removal in patients failing noninvasive ventilation. Intensive
Care Med 2012;38:1632–9.
97. Abrams DC, Brenner K, Burkart KM, et al. Pilot study of
extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal to facilitate extuba-tion and ambulation in exacerbations of chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2013;10:307–14.
98. Turner MO, Patel A, Ginsburg S, FitzGerald JM. Bronchodilator delivery in acute airflow obstruction. A meta-analysis.
Arch Intern Med1997;157:1736–44.
99. Brocklebank D, Ram F, Wright J, et al. Comparison of the
effectiveness of inhaler devices in asthma and chronic obstructive airways disease: a systematic review of the literature. Health Technol Assess 2001;5:1–149.
100.Cazzola M, Page CP, Rogliani P, Matera MG. ş2-agonist
therapy in lung disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med
101.Cheyne L, Irvin-Sellers MJ, White J. Tiotropium versus
ipratropium bromide for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013;9:CD009552.
102. Drescher GS, Carnathan BJ, Imus S, Colice GL. Incorporating tiotropium into a respiratory therapist-directed bronchodilator protocol for managing in-patients with COPD
exacerbations decreases bronchodilator costs. Respir Care
103. Colice GL, Carnathan B, Sung J, Paramore LC. A respiratory therapist-directed protocol for managing inpatients with
asthma and COPD incorporating a long-acting bronchodilator. J Asthma 2005;42:29–34.
104. Stockley RA, O›Brien C, Pye A, Hill SL. Relationship of sputum color to nature and outpatient management of acute
exacerbations of COPD. Chest 2000;117:1638–45.
105. Quon BS, Gan WQ, Sin DD. Contemporary management
of acute exacerbations of COPD: a systematic review and
metaanalysis. Chest 2008;133:756–66.
106. Vollenweider DJ, Jarrett H, Steurer-Stey CA. Antibiotics for
exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;12:CD010257.
107.Anthonisen NR, Manfreda J, Warren CP, et al. Antibiotic
therapy in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease. Ann Intern Med 1987;106:196–204.
108. Dewan NA, Rafique S, Kanwar B, et al. Acute exacerbation
of COPD: factors associated with poor treatment outcome
109. Anzueto A, Gotfried M, Wikler MA, et al . Efficacy and tolerability of gatifloxacin in community treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. Clin Ther 2002;24:906–17.
110. Yoon HI, Lee CH, Kim DK, et al. Efficacy of levofloxacin versus cefuroxime in treating acute exacerbations of chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2013;8:329–34.
111.Albert RK, Martin TR, Lewis SW. Controlled clinical trial
of methylprednisolone in patients with chronic bronchitis and acute respiratory insufficiency. Ann Intern Med
112. Thompson WH, Nielson CP, Carvalho P, et al. Controlled
trial of oral prednisone in outpatients with acute COPD
exacerbation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996;154( 2 Pt
113. Davies L, Angus RM, Calverley PM. Oral corticosteroids in
patients admitted to hospital with exacerbations of chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease: a prospective randomised
controlled trial. Lancet. 1999;354:456–60.
114.Aaron SD, Vandemheen KL, Hebert P, et al. Outpatient
oral prednisone after emergency treatment of chronic ob-