16 Hospital Physician Board Review Manual www.turner-white.com
in pulmonary diseases: a comprehensive review. Chest
28. Assicot M, Gendrel D, Carsin H, et al. High serum procalcitonin concentrations in patients with sepsis and infection.
29. Müller B, Becker KL, Schächinger H, Rickenbacher PR,
Huber PR, Zimmerli W, Ritz R. Calcitonin precursors are
reliable markers of sepsis in a medical intensive care unit.
Crit Care Med 2000;28:977–83.
30. Müller F, Christ-Crain M, Bregenzer T; ProHOSP Study
Group. Procalcitonin levels predict bacteremia in patients
with community-acquired pneumonia: a prospective cohort
trial. Chest 2010;138:121–9.
31. Christ-Crain M, Jaccard-Stolz D, Bingisser R, et al. Effect of procalcitonin-guided treatment on antibiotic use
and outcome in lower respiratory tract infections: clus-ter-randomised, single-blinded intervention trial. Lancet
32. Woodhead M, Blasi F, Ewig S, et al. Guidelines for the
management of adult lower respiratory tract infections. Clin
Microbiol Infect 2011; 17 Suppl 6:E1–59.
33. Schuetz P, Amin DN, Greenwald JL. Role of procalcitonin
in managing adult patients with respiratory tract infections.
34. Stolz D, Christ-Crain M, Bingisser R, et al. Antibiotic treatment of exacerbations of COPD: a randomized, controlled
trial comparing procalcitonin-guidance with standard therapy. Chest 2007;131: 9–19.
35. Stolz D, Christ-Crain M, Morgenthaler NG, et al. Copeptin, C-reactive protein, and procalcitonin as prognostic biomarkers
in acute exacerbation of COPD. Chest 2007;131:1058–67.
36. Rammaert B, Verdier N, Cavestri B, Nseir S. Procalcitonin as a prognostic factor in severe acute exacerbation
of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respirology
37. Daniels JM, Schoorl M, Snijders D, et al. Procalcitonin vs
C-reactive protein as predictive markers of response to
antibiotic therapy in acute exacerbations of COPD. Chest
38. Hackx M, Ghaye B, Coche E, et al. Severe COPD exacerbation: CT features. COPD 2014 June 10. [Epub ahead of print]
39. Han MK, Agusti A, Calverley PM, et al. Chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease phenotypes: the future of COPD. Am J
Respir Crit Care Med 2010;182:598–604.
40. Agusti A, Calverley PM, Celli B, et al. Characterisation of
COPD heterogeneity in the ECLIPSE cohort. Respir Res
41. Agusti A, Sin DD. Biomarkers in COPD. Clin Chest Med
42. Anderson HR, Spix C, Medina S, et al. Air pollution and
daily admissions for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
in 6 European cities: results from the APHEA project. Eur
Respir J 1997;10:1064–71.
43. Peacock JL, Anderson HR, Bremner SA, et al. Outdoor air
pollution and respiratory health in patients with COPD. Thorax 2011;66:591–6.
44. Higgins BG, Francis HC, Yates CJ, et al. Effects of air pollution on symptoms and peak expiratory flow measurements in subjects with obstructive airways disease. Thorax
45. van der Zee SC, Hoek G, Boezen MH, et al. Acute effects
of air pollution on respiratory health of 50-70 yr old adults.
Eur Respir J 2000;15:700– 9.
46. Lagorio S, Forastiere F, Pistelli R, et al. Air pollution and
lung function among susceptible adult subjects: a panel
study. Environ Health 2006;5: 11.
47. Menezes AM, Montes de Oca M, Pérez-Padilla R, et al.
Increased risk of exacerbation and hospitalization in subjects with an overlap phenotype: COPD-asthma. Chest
48. Marin JM, Soriano JB, Carrizo SJ, et al. Outcomes in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea: the overlap syndrome. Am J Respir
Crit Care Med 2010;182:325–31.
49. Rascon-Aguilar IE, Pamer M, Wludyka P, et al. Role of gastroesophageal reflux symptoms in exacerbations of COPD.
50. Ajmera M, Raval AD, Shen C, Sambamoorthi U. Explaining the increased health care expenditures associated with
gastroesophageal reflux disease among elderly Medicare
beneficiaries with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a
cost-decomposition analysis. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon
51. Martinez CH, Okajima Y, Murray S, et al. Impact of self-reported Gastroesophageal reflux disease in subjects from
COPDGene cohort. Respir Res 2014;15:62.
52. Bowler RP, Kim V, Regan E, et al. Prediction of acute respiratory disease in current and former smokers with and
without COPD. Chest. 2014;146:941–950.
53. Ryan SF. Pulmonary embolism and thrombosis in chronic
obstructive emphysema. Am J Pathol 1963;43:767–73.
54. Akpinar EE, Hoşgün D, Akpinar S, et al. Incidence of pulmonary embolism during COPD exacerbation. J Bras Pneumol
55. Bertoletti L, Quenet S, Laporte S, et al. Pulmonary embolism and 3-month outcomes in 4036 patients with venous
thromboembolism and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: data from the RIETE registry. Respir Res 2013;14:75.
56. Piazza G, Goldhaber SZ, Kroll A, et al. Venous thromboembolism in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease. Am J Med 2012;125:1010–8.
57. Rizkallah J, Man SF, Sin DD. Prevalence of pulmonary