www.turner-white.com Pulmonary Disease Volume 14, Part 5 15
a nonionic surfactant in the management of acute chest
syndrome. Hemoglobin 2004;28:85–102.
64. Sullivan KJ, Goodwin SR, Evangelist J, et al. Nitric oxide
successfully used to treat acute chest syndrome of
sickle cell disease in a young adolescent. Crit Care Med
65. Oppert M, Jörres A, Barckow D, et al. Inhaled nitric oxide
for ARDS due to sickle cell disease. Swiss Med Wkly
66. Al Hajeri A, Serjeant GR, Fedorowicz Z. Inhaled nitric oxide
for acute chest syndrome in people with sickle cell disease.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;( 1):CD006957.
67. Weiner DL, Hibberd PL, Betit P, et al. Preliminary assessment of inhaled nitric oxide for acute vaso-occlusive crisis
in pediatric patients with sickle cell disease [published erratum appears in JAMA 2004;292:925]. JAMA 2003;289:
68. Head CA, Swerdlow P, McDade WA, et al. Beneficial effects of nitric oxide breathing in adult patients with sickle
cell crisis. Am J Hematol 2010; 85:800– 2.
69. Gladwin MT, Kato GJ, Weiner D, et al; DeNOVO Investigators. Nitric oxide for inhalation in the acute treatment of
sickle cell pain crisis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA
70. Morris CR, Morris SM Jr, Hagar W, et al. Arginine therapy:a
new treatment for pulmonary hypertension in sickle cell
disease? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003;168:63–9.
71. Scavella A, Leiva L, Monjure H, et al. Effect of L-ar-ginine supplementation on immune responsiveness in
patients with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer
72. Morris CR, Vichinsky EP, van Warmerdam J, et al. Hydroxyurea and arginine therapy: impact on nitric oxide
production in sickle cell disease. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol
73. Trant CA Jr, Casey JR, Hansell D, et al. Successful use
of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the treatment
of acute chest syndrome in a child with severe sickle cell
anemia. ASAIO J 1996;42:236–9.
74. Pelidis MA, Kato GJ, Resar LM, et al. Successful treatment of life-threatening acute chest syndrome of sickle
cell disease with venovenous extracorporeal membrane
oxygenation. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1997;19:459–61.
75. Gillett DS, Gunning KE, Sawicka EH, et al. Life threatening
sickle chest syndrome treated with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1987;294:81–2.
76. Raff JP, Dobson CE, Tsai HM. Transfusion of polymerised
human haemoglobin in a patient with severe sickle-cell
anaemia. Lancet 2002;360:464–5.
77. American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Infectious
Diseases. Policy statement: recommendations for the
prevention of pneumococcal infections, including the use
of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (Prevnar), pneumo-
coccal polysaccharide vaccine, and antibiotic prophylaxis.
Pediatrics 2000;106( 2 Pt 1):362–6.
78. Adamkiewicz TV, Silk BJ, Howgate J, et al. Effectiveness of
the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children
with sickle cell disease in the first decade of life. Pediatrics
79. Brun M, Bourdoulous S, Couraud PO, et al. Hydroxyurea
downregulates endothelin- 1 gene expression and upregu-lates ICAM- 1 gene expression in cultured human endothelial cells. Pharmacogenomics J 2003;3:215–26.
80. Charache S, Terrin ML, Moore RD, et al. Design of the multicenter study of hydroxyurea in sickle cell anemia. Investigators of the Multicenter Study of Hydroxyurea. Control
Clin Trials 1995;16:432–46.
81. Carache S, Terrin ML, Moore RD, et al. Effect of hydroxyurea on the frequency of painful crises in sickle cell anemia. Investigators of the Multicenter Study of Hydroxyurea
in Sickle Cell Anemia. N Engl J Med 1995;332:1317–22.
82. Steinberg MH, Barton F, Castro O, et al. Effect of hydroxyurea on mortality and morbidity in adult sickle cell
anemia: risks and benefits up to 9 years of treatment [published erratum appears in JAMA 2003;290:756]. JAMA
83. Voskaridou E, Christoulas D, Bilalis A, et al. The effect
of prolonged administration of hydroxyurea on morbidity
and mortality in adult patients with sickle cell syndromes:
results of a 17-year, single-center trial (LaSHS). Blood
84. Miller ST, Wright E, Abboud M, et al; STOP Investigators.
Impact of chronic transfusion on incidence of pain and
acute chest syndrome during the Stroke Prevention Trial
(STOP) in sickle-cell anemia. J Pediatr 2001;139:785–9.
85. Atkins RC, Walters MC. Haematopoietic cell transplantation in the treatment of sickle cell disease. Expert Opin Biol
86. Richards D, Nulsen FE. Angiographic media and the sickling phenomenon. Surg Forum 1971;22:403–4.
87. Gladwin MT, Sachdev V, Jison ML, et al. Pulmonary hypertension as a risk factor for death in patients with sickle cell
disease. N Engl J Med 2004;350:886–95.
88. Castro O, Hoque M, Brown BD. Pulmonary hypertension
in sickle cell disease: cardiac catheterization results and
survival. Blood 2003;101:1257–61.
89. Mekontso Dessap A, Leon R, Habibi A, et al. Pulmonary
hypertension and cor pulmonale during severe acute chest
syndrome in sickle cell disease. Am J Respir Crit Care
90. Ataga KI, Moore CG, Jones S, et al. Pulmonary hypertension in patients with sickle cell disease: a longitudinal