3. Akinbami LJ, Liu X. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among adults aged 18 and over in the United
States, 1998–2009. NCHS Data Brief. No. 63. June
Accessed November 27, 2013.
4. Wu J, Sin DD. Improved patient outcome with smoking
cessation: when is it too late? Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon
5. Fiore MC. US public health service clinical practice guide
line: treating tobacco use and dependence. Respir Care
6. Fiore MC. Treating tobacco use and dependence: an introduction to the US Public Health Service clinical practice
guideline. Respir Care 2000;45:1196–9.
7. Lamprecht B, McBurnie MA, Vollmer WM, et al. COPD in
never smokers: results from the population-based burden
of obstructive lung disease study. Chest 2011;139:752–63.
8. Celli BR, Halbert RJ, Nordyke RJ, Schau B. Airway
obstruction in never smokers: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Med
9. Tuder RM, Yoshida T, Arap W, et al. State of the art. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of alveolar destruction in
emphysema: an evolutionary perspective. Proc Am Thorac
10. Cosio MG, Saetta M, Agusti A. Immunologic aspects of
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med
11. Majo J, Ghezzo H, Cosio MG. Lymphocyte population
and apoptosis in the lungs of smokers and their relation to
emphysema. Eur Respir J 2001;17:946–53.
12. Saetta M, Baraldo S, Corbino L, et al. CD8+ve cells in the
lungs of smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;160:711–7.
13. Anthonisen NR, Connett JE, Kiley JP, et al. Effects of
smoking intervention and the use of an inhaled anticholinergic bronchodilator on the rate of decline of FEV1. The
Lung Health Study. JAMA 1994;272:1497–505.
14. Anthonisen NR, Connett JE, Enright PL, Manfreda J. Hospitalizations and mortality in the Lung Health Study. Am J
Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:333–9.
15. Mortality after 16 years for participants randomized to
the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Circulation
16. Yusuf S, Hawken S, Ounpuu S, et al. Effect of potentially
modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-con-trol study. Lancet 2004;364:937–52.
17. Shah AM, Pfeffer MA, Hartley LH, et al. Risk of all-cause
mortality, recurrent myocardial infarction, and heart failure
hospitalization associated with smoking status following
myocardial infarction with left ventricular dysfunction. Am J
18. Alberg AJ, Samet JM. Epidemiology of lung cancer. Chest
2003;123( 1 Suppl):21S–49S.
19. Parsons A, Daley A, Begh R, Aveyard P. Influence of smoking cessation after diagnosis of early stage lung cancer on
prognosis: systematic review of observational studies with
meta-analysis. BMJ 2010;340:b5569.
20. Batra A. Treatment of tobacco dependence. Dtsch Arztebl
21. Benowitz NL. Nicotine addiction. N Engl J Med 2010;362:
22. Tashkin D, Kanner R, Bailey W, et al. Smoking cessation
in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a
double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised trial. Lancet
23. Wagena EJ, Knipschild PG, Huibers MJ, et al. Efficacy of
bupropion and nortriptyline for smoking cessation among
people at risk for or with chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:2286–92.
24. Tashkin DP, Rennard S, Hays JT, et al. Effects of varenicline on smoking cessation in patients with mild to
moderate COPD: a randomized controlled trial. Chest
25. Gonzales D, Rennard SI, Nides M, et al. Varenicline,
an alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor partial
agonist, vs sustained-release bupropion and placebo for
smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA
26. Jorenby DE, Hays JT, Rigotti NA, et al. Efficacy of varenicline, an alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor
partial agonist, vs placebo or sustained-release bupropion
for smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA
27. Sethi S, Murphy TF. Infection in the pathogenesis and
course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J
28. Poole PJ, Chacko E, Wood-Baker RW, Cates CJ. Influenza
vaccine for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006( 1):CD002733.
29. Granger R, Walters J, Poole PJ, et al. Injectable vaccines
for preventing pneumococcal infection in patients with
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006( 4):CD001390.
30. Varkey JB, Varkey AB, Varkey B. Prophylactic vaccinations
in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: current status.
Curr Opin Pulm Med 2009;15:90– 9.
31. Nichol KL, Baken L, Nelson A. Relation between influenza
vaccination and outpatient visits, hospitalization, and mortality in elderly persons with chronic lung disease. Ann
Intern Med 1999;130:397–403.