www.turner-white.com Pulmonary Disease Volume 14, Part 1 21
tive pulmonary disease: role of bronchiolar mast cells and
macrophages. Am J Pathol 1997;151:1785–90.
74. Burge PS, Calverley PM, Jones PW, et al. Randomised,
double blind, placebo controlled study of fluticasone
propionate in patients with moderate to severe chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease: the ISOLDE trial. BMJ
75. Lung Health Study Research Group. Effect of inhaled
triamcinolone on the decline in pulmonary function in
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med
76. Pauwels RA, Lofdahl CG, Laitinen LA, et al. Long-term treatment with inhaled budesonide in persons with
mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who continue smoking. European Respiratory Society Study on
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. N Engl J Med
77. Vestbo J, Sorensen T, Lange P, et al. Long-term effect of
inhaled budesonide in mild and moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trial.
78. Celli BR, Thomas NE, Anderson JA, et al. Effect of pharmacotherapy on rate of decline of lung function in chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease: results from the TORCH
study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008;178:332–8.
79. Yang IA, Fong KM, Sim EH, et al. Inhaled corticosteroids
for stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;( 2):CD002991.
80. Spencer S, Evans DJ, Karner C, Cates CJ. Inhaled corticosteroids versus long-acting beta( 2)-agonists for chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst
81. Suissa S. Statistical treatment of exacerbations in therapeutic trials of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am
J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;173:842–6.
82. Aaron SD, Vandemheen KL, Fergusson D, et al. Tiotropium
in combination with placebo, salmeterol, or fluticasone-sal-meterol for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2007;146:545–55.
83. Suissa S, Barnes PJ. Inhaled corticosteroids in COPD: the
case against. Eur Respir J 2009;34: 13–6.
84. Culpitt SV, Rogers DF, Shah P, et al. Impaired inhibition
by dexamethasone of cytokine release by alveolar macrophages from patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003;167:24–31.
85. Ford PA, Durham AL, Russell RE, et al. Treatment effects
of low-dose theophylline combined with an inhaled corticosteroid in COPD. Chest 2010;137:1338–44.
86. Ernst P, Gonzalez AV, Brassard P, Suissa S. Inhaled corticosteroid use in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
and the risk of hospitalization for pneumonia. Am J Respir
87. Singh S, Amin AV, Loke YK. Long-term use of inhaled corticosteroids and the risk of pneumonia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med
88. Sin DD, Tashkin D, Zhang X, et al. Budesonide and the risk
of pneumonia: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.
89. O’Byrne PM, Pedersen S, Carlsson LG, et al. Risks of
pneumonia in patients with asthma taking inhaled corticosteroids. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;183:589–95.
90. Rennard SI, Vestbo J. To use or not to use: clinical decision
making in the face of uncertainty. Am J Respir Crit Care
91. Chen D, Restrepo MI, Fine MJ, et al. Observational
study of inhaled corticosteroids on outcomes for COPD
patients with pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med
92. Sin DD, Man SF. Corticosteroids and adrenoceptor agonists: the compliments for combination therapy in chronic
airways diseases. Eur J Pharmacol 2006;533:28–35.
93. Nannini LJ, Cates CJ, Lasserson TJ, Poole P. Combined
corticosteroid and long-acting beta-agonist in one inhaler
versus inhaled steroids for chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;( 4):CD006826.
94. Calverley P, Pauwels R, Vestbo J, Jones P, Pride N, Guls-vik A et al. Combined salmeterol and fluticasone in the
treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a
randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003;361:449–56.
95. Rodrigo GJ, Castro-Rodriguez JA, Plaza V. Safety and
efficacy of combined long-acting beta-agonists and inhaled corticosteroids vs long-acting beta-agonists monotherapy for stable COPD: a systematic review. Chest
96. Jenkins CR, Jones PW, Calverley PM, Celli B, Anderson
JA, Ferguson GT et al. Efficacy of salmeterol/fluticasone
propionate by GOLD stage of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: analysis from the randomised, placebo-controlled TORCH study. Respir Res 2009;10:59.
97. Cazzola M, Di Marco F, Santus P, et al. The pharmacodynamic effects of single inhaled doses of formoterol, tiotropium and their combination in patients with COPD. Pulm
Pharmacol Ther 2004;17:35–9.
98. Meyer T, Reitmeir P, Brand P, et al. Effects of formoterol
and tiotropium bromide on mucus clearance in patients
with COPD. Respir Med 2011;105:900– 6.
99. van Noord JA, Aumann JL, Janssens E, et al. Effects of
tiotropium with and without formoterol on airflow obstruction and resting hyperinflation in patients with COPD.
100. Vogelmeier C, Kardos P, Harari S, et al. Formoterol mono-